Who is a Merchant?

Missouri Law, 150.010 RSMo 1994, indicates that every person, corporation, copartner ship or association of persons, who deals in selling goods, wares and merchandise at any store, stand or place occupied for that purpose, is a merchant.

Do I need a DeKalb County merchant's license for my business? Yes! if you answer yes to all the items in the checklist below:

  • You own or operate a business.
  • The business is located in DeKalb County, either within or outside the city  limits of any incorporated area
  • There is a sales tax number issued to the business by the Missouri Department of Revenue.
  • Product or merchandise is sold at retail.
  • You collect and remit sales tax to the Missouri Department of Revenue.
  • If your business is within a city limit you should also check with that city for their licensing requirements.​

How do I obtain a Merchant's License?
Call the DeKalb County Collector's Office at 816.449.5810. We will be happy to answer your questions. Or, if you prefer, come by the office and we will help you through the process.  You may also print and fill out the application on this site

  • Merchant Application    After you complete the application, attach a copy of your sales tax ID and a check for $25. You can mail or drop it off in the Collector's Office.

Your state sales tax number must be included on the application. If you need more information regarding state sales taxes, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue in Jefferson City (573)751-5860.  A Merchant's License is issued for the calendar year January 1st thru December 31st.

License fee will not be prorated if issued  for a partial year.

A county issued Merchant's License is in addition to any city or other local business license you may have.

I do not have a permanent site for my business but travel from place to place selling goods. Do I need a Merchant's License
Yes! If you reside in DeKalb County but engage in or conduct a temporary or transient business of selling goods you must have a Merchant's License, providing you meet the other requirements on the checklist.

 You do not need a Merchant's License if:

  • You are a physician, dentist, or veterinarian selling medicines, at either wholesale or retail, used in your practice, or
  • You are a farmer who grows or processes any article of farm produce or farm products on your farm, as long as you do not have a regular stand or place of business away from your farm.

Any questions?  Feel free to contact us:

DeKalb County Collector
PO Box 522
Maysville MO 64469

E-mail Us Here

P: 816.449.5810 ext.3
F: 816.449.7938